Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful for a Challenge

I'm taking this idea from a friend because it is something I need in my life right now.

The Thanksgiving holiday is one of my favorites... food, football, family, friends and lots of fun. but, originally, it was meant to be a day to pause and give authentic thanks to God. Unfortunately, for many, including myself, thanksgiving is more of a one-day holiday than a way of life. I don't know about you, but I have been blessed beyond comprehension, and even in the unwelcome moments of life, I have so much to be thankful for.

What would it look like if i ONLY spoke words of gratitude the entire week of Thanksgiving? If I went so far as to look at a pile of laundered clothes that awaits my folding and putting up, a somewhat mundane task, and instead think and speak out loud, "God, thank you for these clothes, for providing covering." If every time next week I am faced with a person in midst of a complaint, I tell them why I am thankful to God they are in my life.

So Starting this Monday mornign and going through this Sunday evening, I'm challenging myself to live an entire week full of thanksgiving.

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4 ESV)

Anytime I'm tempted to think/say/do something negative (filthy, foolish, crude or otherwise unthankful) I will instead choose, in that very moment to give thanks to God for His blessings in my life.

If you'd like to join me, please leave a comment saying so AND repost this (in your own words, if you'd like... no need to link me) on your blog, twitter, facebook, etc. and challenge your friends to do the same. Even if you're not reading this until after Monday morning, it's never too late to take up a good challenge. And, keep in mind that nobody who takes this challenge is going to make it an entire week without missing the mark... so, when that happens to you, just pick yourself back up- thank God for helping you learn and for the motivation to try- and start again!

Blessings to each of you,
Audrey Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment